"Afraid" Online film awards - is a fantasy/horror/thriller/science fiction award based in Kiyv, Ukraine. The Award's strive to support filmmakers who are innovative and changing the future of cinema.
"Afraid" Online film award is organized by a non-profit organization FilmPLS, based in Kyiv.
phone: +38 067 665 63 63
If you have any questions about our requirements, please contact us to check first before submitting.
Any film that meets the criteria of the Award's Rules and Regulations can be submitted.
In order to participate in the selection process, film presenters shall submit their films through the FilmFreeway platform.
The submission doesn’t guarantee a selection. If your film is selected, you will be notified. The final date for submissions is as dictated on FilmFreeway.
The price for submissions is as dictated on FilmFreeway.
All submission fees are non-refundable.
The jury consists of two (2) film professionals. It could be filmmakers, film producers, film journalists and theorists or important film culture personas. The jury members must not have participated in the making or the commercial exploitation of any film in the competition they are judging. Jury members are sworn to secrecy. The jury's decision is final.
There will be a best of (First Place) as well as Second and Third place for the following categories*:
• Best Horror
• Best Fantasy
• Best Noir
• Best Thriller
• Best Dark Comedy
• Best Sci-fi
• Best Animated
• Best Documentary
• Best Experimental
• Best Male-Actor
• Best Female-Actor
• Best Director
• Best Cinematography
• Best Student Film
• Best Special Effects
• Best Editing
• Best Sound
• Best Music
• Best Screenplay
• Best Web or TV series **
• Best Trailer
• Best Poster
* Please note that if we do not receive enough acceptable submissions for each category, we will change them
** For the web or TV series category, please submit one episode that you think best represents your series. We don't need a premiere status for the web series category and can be available online.
The judges will decide on different awards that will be presented to filmmakers.
Films that made it to the official selection will be promoted on social media platforms. All officially selected films will receive laurels, and be displayed on our website.
7. RULES The Filmmaker is solely responsible for the content of the film and agrees that the film does not contain any content that may be construed as: libellous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, sexually, racially or ethnically offensive, intimidating, threatening, hateful, discriminatory or abusive.
• Short films of any nationality and language can participate. Applications for participation in the competition programs of the Award are accepted from any legal entities or individuals who have reached the age of 16, without any restrictions with regard to citizenship and place of residence.
• All non-english films are welcome. Films in a language other than English must be subtitled in English for festival presentation.
• Short films produced during and after year 2018 will be admitted.
• Submitted short films have to be of fiction genre, containing fantastic, freak, sci-fi, dark, noir, thriller and/or horror elements.
• Short films cannot exceed 40 minutes (credits included).
• Films can be sent online through a hosting file service. In that case, the download link has to be sent to the email. It also can be uploaded in FilmFreeway, etc.
• For the official selected projects, the authors undertake to provide in a timely manner the necessary elements to the organizers for the preparation of the event. Failure to submit a screener copy seven (7) days prior to the festival will rule out eligibility for an official selection (disqualification).
• Each filmmaker may submit more than one work.
• Your film is allowed to be public on youtube or vimeo, and previous screenings and awards are no problem.
We are not responsible for your content if you do not have permission to use it. Please make sure all content is yours, all music is original, or you have permission from the artist to use it.
There are no legal actions, claims, demands or proceedings against the Film or the Filmmaker in respect of the Film.
All performers in the film have unconditionally consented to the use of their performances in the Film.
We reserve the right to use extracts from submissions for festival publicity and marketing purposes.
Filmmakers will not be entitled to claim any compensation for the use of their films by "Afraid" online film award.
Entry and participation of films in the Award imply agreement with the Rules and Regulations set out herein.
By applying to "Afraid" online film award you have agreed to the terms listed above.
An entry form is valid without a signature and a seal.
In the event of disputes arising in regard to these Regulations, they shall be resolved through conscientious and constructive negotiations between the conflicting parties. Unclear situations The Director of the Award reserves the right to take final decisions to any exception not envisaged in the present regulations.
The provisions of these Regulations may be supplemented and/or amended at any time with subsequent publication on the official website of the Film Festival. The Organizer will not inform in advance about such changes.